As a hardworking homeowner, the last thing you want to have to deal with during the summer is a clogged drain in Williamsville, NY. However, unless you and everyone living in your home—whether that’s your spouse, partner, children, or parents—knows how to avoid clogs, chances are that sooner or later, you’re going to find yourself sacrificing a day in the sun for a day mopping floors and trying to find a plumber.
Avoid a Clogged Drain in Williamsville, NY with These Easy Tips:
Avoiding a clogged drain is to a large extent a question of common sense, but there are also some special tips we plumbers use to make sure our drains don’t get clogged.
Common sense tips include:
- Don’t let any large or bulky items get washed down the drain. A drain has a relatively small diameter, so any bulky item could get stuck and cause a huge clog.
- Use the waste disposal. Did you know it’s better for the environment to dispose of organic food waste by using your waste disposal? This way, food remnants are ground up and flushed into the drain, after which the water is treated at the municipal water treatment plant. If you just throw things in the garbage can, they wind up in a landfill, where rotting food releases dangerous gases into the environment.
- Don’t throw metal, plastic, rubber, or glass into the drain. Dispose of these materials in the appropriate way.
Special tips include:
- Flush out the drain with a homemade solution every week. Pour half a cup of baking soda in the drain, followed by a pot of boiling water. Let it sit for about 10 minutes, then pour in another pot of boiling water. Then let cold water run through for one to two minutes.
- Use a chemical drain cleaner once a month. Get a mild drain cleaner from your local hardware store. Follow the instructions to the letter.
Call Roy’s Plumbing If You Have a Clogged Drain in Williamsville, NY
If you have a clogged drain, don’t spend your valuable time trying to fix it. Just call Roy’s Plumbing and we’ll take care of it so you can relax and get back to your life!