Indoor Air Pollution is a Very Real Problem. Now, Roy’s Has Multiple Solutions to Make The Problem Disappear. It’s kind of ironic, but the better insulated your home, the more of a breeding ground it becomes for indoor air pollutants. That’s because air is brought in from the outside from your home comfort systems, the opening and closing of doors, and so on. But, because of air-tight insulation now commonplace in many homes, the stale, polluted air has nowhere to go…except inside your lungs.
Most Common Indoor Air Pollutants in Buffalo
According to The Learning Channel, these are the top 10 indoor air pollutants found in homes like yours:
- Environmental Tobacco Smoke
- Biological Contaminates…such as pollen, dander, bacteria, and mold.
- Household Products…such as paints and cleaners
- Formaldehyde…found in cigarette tobacco, furniture, cabinets, building materials, glues, adhesives, and more.
- Rugs & Carpets
The Negative Effects of Indoor Air Pollution
Here are some eye-opening facts to illustrate just how serious the problems can be, even in homes meticulously and frequently cleaned:
- According to the American College of Allergies, 50% of all illness is aggravated or caused by polluted indoor air.
- The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) reports that indoor air is anywhere from 2 to 10 times more hazardous than outdoor air. The EPA also warns us that indoor air quality is the United States’ number one environmental health problem.
- As a result, natural air-cleansing agents such as ozone and negative ions are kept out, while contaminants are kept in.
- A recent study found that the allergen level in super-insulated homes is 200% higher than it is in ordinary homes.
- According to Scientific America, a baby crawling on the floor inhales the equivalent of 4 cigarettes a dayas a result of the out-gassing of carpets, molds, mildews, fungi, dust mites, etc.
- Most people spend well over 90% of their time indoors. In which case, indoor air is going to impact their health far more than outdoor air.
- It is estimated that 6 out of 10 homes and buildings are “sick”, meaning they are hazardous to your health to occupy as a result of airborne pollutants.
Roy’s Plumbing, Heating & Cooling specializes in home improvement installations and repair services. Family-owned and operated since 1974, we’ve built our reputation on four decades of superior customer care and expert service. With quality, reliability and efficiency always in mind, Roy’s Plumbing, Heating & Cooling is committed to providing outstanding service and quality work. And that commitment is paying off: in 2012, Roy’s was named Buffalo’s Best Plumber by Artvoice, a popular newsweekly.